Unable to open SCCM admin console following 1511 upgrade

ENVIRONMENT:
SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 with SCCM database on the same server.

So in a lab I upgraded my SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 instance to 1511. This is a Hyper-V environment running on my Surface Pro and I have SCCM, SQL and the SCCM admin console  running on the same VM.
The upgrade itself appeared to go smoothly but when I opened the admin console I just got the grey screen telling me I was unable to connect and that I should check I had permissions and that the SMS provider was installed and available, etc. Obviously it was, it was on the same machine and I had been working with it 20 minutes beforehand.

My immediate reaction was something had gone wrong with the DB upgrade. I hadn’t run the /TestDBUpgrade switch as this was very much a test environment and I didn’t have another server I could quickly and easily test it with. I did however take a snapshot and reverted back. A few tweaks here and there and a re-run of the upgrade produced the same result. Then I decided to test whether this was actually a problem with the installation or simply a problem with the console.
I decided to try and build a machine off this install (PXE boot) and sure enough it built perfectly.
Next, I installed the 1511 console on another VM (my lab DC in this case) and sure enough again, it connected perfectly.
Great.
Next step, check the console logs, in particular the SMSAdminUI.log file under C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminConsole\AdminUILog. Under here I noticed that there were a number of performance counter errors eg as below:

[1, PID:844][04/08/2016 11:11:59] :The performance counter ‘# images’ was not found
[4, PID:844][04/08/2016 11:12:01] :The performance counter ‘# result objects in memory’ was not found
[4, PID:844][04/08/2016 11:12:01] :The performance counter ‘# exceptions’ was not found

LogCapture

SOLUTION
Seems the upgrade broke the performance counter settings in some way so this needed fixing:
1. (Important) Open a command prompt and CD\Windows\SysWow64
2. LODCTR /R (ensure you are in the dir path above or you are likely to get error code 2).
3. Reinstall the console from the 1511 upgrade setup.
4. Et Voila, (hopefully) all should start working again.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.