Category Archives: SCCM

‘The software change returned error code 0xc1800118 (-1048575720)

So you’re testing out deployment of the new 1607 feature upgrade for Windows 10 in your shiny new 1606 SCCM console. The upgrade appears in your client’s Software Center and starts downloading* and then installing…and then disaster. You are hit with the dreaded message The software change returned error code 0xC1800118(-1048575720). Some Googling reveals a lot of the same responses, ie that you’ve allegedly forgotten to apply KB3159706 before synchronising. (Just in case this happens to be the case, check out the MS blog with appropriate links) but of course you we all know you applied that correctly, so what else?

It goes without saying that if you’re up and running with the official advice then leave as is and don’t fiddle further unnecessarily. However, if you’re still reading then the chances are that that isn’t the case. Well there are a number of other solutions describing how you must add the MIME type for the WSUS server as follows:

extension: .esd   MIME Type: Application/octet-stream
or
extension: .esd   MIME Type: application/vnd.ms-cab-compressed

mimetype

Try these for sure. Ensure you restart the IIS web services after adding the entry.

Again, however, this didn’t fix my issue. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places but I could find no information on the internet which fitted my particular set of circumstances, although there appear to be many in the same boat with unanswered forum posts.

RESOLUTION

After some head-scratching I did find a solution that worked. I simply reinstalled the the SCCM client agent from the client folder on the site server. Huh? This didn’t make too much sense to me until I took a closer look at the client version number before and after.
My freshly-built Windows 10 1511 builds were installing with client version 5.00.8355.1307:

8355

After re-installation of the new client, the version number was 5.00.8412.1307:

8412

Following this I was able to make the feature upgrade run without error. Subsequent SCCM servicing upgrades also upgraded the client files in this directory and the new client version has clearly fixed some compatibility issues with the 1607 feature upgrade.

I updated the default SCCM client version in the console and ensured all new 1511 builds were running the newer client version. Sure enough, feature updates worked perfectly following every new build. I then rolled out the new client agent version to my existing estate. This will obviously be a pre-requisite to ensure all machines upgrade as expected when the 1607 feature upgrade is rolled out wholesale.

Hope these tips help someone else suffering with upgrade frustrations.

* Another issue I have seen is where the feature upgrade gets stuck downloading at 0%. I solved this problem by simply creating a new package and re-downloading the feature upgrade and re-deploying.

SCCM Reports Prompting For Credentials

A really quick post on an issue I had the other week.
The environment was https and all appropriate certs were in place. The production environment was working perfectly but in dev, when we used the FQDN to reach the report server we kept getting prompted for credentials. After double checking everything was set up exactly as I’d set it up for prod I found the credentials kept appearing. I tested the scenario without https and there were no prompts.

RESOLUTION

I added the site to the local intranet sites in IE and the prompting went away. A GPO might be called for if you experience this in an enterprise environment.