Software Updates: error 0xc80003f3 or error 0x8007000e in ScanAgent.log or WUAHandler.log

PROBLEM:
You may also see the following message in the ScanAgent.log:
Sources are current, but Invalid. TTL is also invalid.
SCANAGENT.log
Invalid
WUAHANDLER.log
0xc80003f3

1. You’ve tried reinstalling the client.

2. You’ve installed Windows6.1-KB3050265-x64
3. Maybe even https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2887535
Errors just won’t disappear…well help is at hand.
These errors translate to the following:
0x8007000E -2147024882 E_OUTOFMEMORY
0x8007000E -2147024882 [DCOM belly up] CAgent::CreateJob failed Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.
and
0xC80003F3 -939523085 hrOutOfMemory The computer is out of memory
However, you look at the available memory and can clearly see there is plenty to be playing with.
 
SOLUTION:
 
Turns out you need to up the pagefile on the affected box – this shouldn’t even require a reboot and immediately the errors will disappear from the logs and lovely software updates will all appear in Software Center.
One slight oddity I did notice was that while the software updates appeared, they wouldn’t start downloading/installing. I waited quite while and they just seemed to sit there. I restarted the SMSAgent host and this cleared them but wouldn’t pick them up again despite manually instigating the Scan or Software Updates Deployment actions from the SMS agent applet. I needed to restart the box, and then run these actions again manually after that and all started to work as expected and start downloading/installing.
Simon

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.